What is the Michigan Odonata Survey (MOS)?
The MOS consists of a group of people with a shared interest in the study of the distribution, biology and enjoyment of the Odonata found in Michigan. It is chaired by Mark O'Brien and Mike Kielb, of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. The Museum of Zoology provides some support for the survey. The MOS, centered at the UMMZ, is a loosely organized group of people with common aims.
What are the goals of the MOS?
The eventual goal of the MOS is to catalog and distribute definitive information on the Odonata fauna of Michigan. In doing so, we want to:
1. Promote the study and appreciation of Odonata at various levels of understanding.
2. Identify and promote the security of critical habitats where species of limited distribution or threatened status are found.
3. Provide a clearinghouse of odonatological information for the Great Lakes and especially Michigan.
4. Cooperate with agencies and groups where we share common goals.
5. Expand our knowledge of poorly-known species.
6. Survey the state of Michigan as thoroughly as is both possible and practical to document the current status of all species of Odonata.
7. Provide an internet-based source of information (WWW and e-mail list) as well as printed resources. (http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/michodo/mos.html)
8. Produce a catalog of the Odonata of Michigan by 2002 or sooner.
How can you assist the MOS?
We need many volunteers to aid in our various projects. The MOS is a volunteer organization. Field assistants, collectors, data entry people, collections assistants and catalogers are welcome and encouraged. Collaborators from other institutions and agencies are welcome to share collection data, including biological and envionmental data, as well as specimens from sampling activities.
Since we currently have no funding and no paid positions, we ask that people volunteer their time or services to help accomplish our goals. We certainly will accept monetary donations made out to the Museum of Zoology, and gifts in kind are also welcome. We are trying to procure external funding for projects from various public and private sources.
Contacts for further information:
O'Brien, Insect Division, Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor, MI 48109-1079; office phone: 734-647-2199; fax: 734-763-4080; home phone:
Julie Craves, River Rouge Bird Observatory, University of Michigan Dearborn, Dearborn, MI 48128
|The Michigan Odonata Survey
c/o Insect Division, Museum of Zoology
1109 Geddes Avenue
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079